Today’s been a utility day in the kitchen, cleaning, canning, slicing, prepping, etc.
The beets that I harvested the other day were roasted, peeled, sliced, pickled and canned. The recipe I used was a modified one starting with Alton Brown’s recipe, substituting dried diced onions for the fresh, and adding red pepper flakes for a little heat.
The cabbage, harvested earlier this week, made 4 pounds of sour kraut. It’s been shredded and is now fermenting away in the new crock which arrived earlier than expected.
And finally, I pulled the old electric slicer out and sliced Amy’s Italian beef into nice slices for her sandwiches later.
I think I’m going to make some steamed buns for the italian beef later.